Total Topics: 83
Most Online Today: 20
Most Online Ever: 38
(August 29, 2023, 12:40:07 PM)
Users Online
Members: 0
Guests: 3
Total: 3

Author Topic: Another Lisa first, another winner  (Read 4100 times)

moscapoet

• Administrator
  • Happy to serve!
    • View Profile
Another Lisa first, another winner
« on: August 07, 2015, 01:15:56 AM »
 You know a winner at life when you see one. You know a winning voice when you hear one. I knew Lisa Lambe was the real deal when she took the stage at her first Celtic Woman performance in Florida in 2011. I was blessed to have been front row for that opening night. She nailed it. There were a few Youtube videos of her doing various types of performances. So she was not a total stranger to fans. But live and in person is always another thing. She sang well, she had stage presence, and she connected right away to us in the audience. In her three years with that group she never changed any of that. And she endeared herself to countless not only from those things but also by simply being who she is off stage too. She was without exception a warm and caring person who made certain her fans knew they were appreciated. And there is nothing like a Lambe hug.

So, for many of us her departure from CW, while not a total surprise, came as sad news. Would we ever see or hear her again in the states? Then came the news of her CD, Hiding Away. Fans jumped on getting those right away not knowing what sort of album it would be. But it was the L'il Lambe and it didn't matter. Everyone knew it would be quality. Turns out it is rather country in tone but not totally. It is a blend in some ways.Then she started doing gigs in Ireland to promote it and we sat and sighed awaiting whether she would grace our shores. And then the news came about Nashville. Most of us knew that would have to be the location because that is where it was recorded.  So a few weeks ago we grabbed up tickets and Jim Allen went to the venue and secured tables to get as many familiar faces up close to cheer her on. Plans were made by folks to come from all over the country. We have told all the former CW girls we would be there for them. We meant it.  And so between members of the LLN and other fans we wound up with almost 40 familiar faces for Sutler's on a Wednesday night. That was more than the CW show at Red Rocks this spring on a Friday night! Lisa Kelly has had over 60 at her two spring shows and 40ish in the winter one in Peachtree City.

Sutler's is not a big place but plenty big enough for this. It is a sort of shotgun layout long and narrow. It was two four top tables wide plus wall tables on one side and an aisle on the other. The stage is small and the backdrop is a wall of cowboy boots that sort of give it the effect of a butterfly wing up close. Lisa had four very good older gentlemen band members. All were on strings save for one Irish gent on drums. Lisa herself was dressed in a long, black, Kimono-like dress and had on high soled sandals like one might see in Japan. So, country meets orient. We sailors can handle that.  The food was tasty and we began gathering at 7 or so outside. I presented buttons and Lambe Crossings signs for free and folks asked if I needed any money for them. I said it was a free will donation to Lisa's Alone charity. By the end of the night we had gathered in $150 with pledges for more. One button was for that night only, one for the three shows that constitute LambeFest, and then the LLN buttons we've issued since the creation of this forum. The Sterlings had two different polo shirts done up and I picked up one of them. So, we were uniformly attired in some cases. Merchandise showed up before the show consisting of her CD, posters, and a nice ceramic heart-shaped Christmas ornament. I picked up one of those directly from Lisa's hubby, Simon Morgan, who was there in support of his sweetie. I finally met him and he, like her, is warm and friendly. They make a great couple.

And so it is show time. The band starts to play the opening strains, and Simon does the intro and then here she comes. From the start she is glowing. She scans and sees a sea of familiar faces. Where else would a Navy be but in a sea? Her opening song is not on her album. It's a warm and welcoming song called I Can See You Shine. YEah, we can see YOU shine too!

Next up is a song from her album, Every time I Fall In Love. She is not all dressed up for the wrecking ball tonight.

Next up is one of my favorites from her album, The Longer I Run. I like the pacing as it is peppy. Sort of a happy skip of a song.

Next is a song she says was number one in Ireland for quite some time by another artist, Turn To Me. I can see why it was popular. Maybe she can get it back up on the charts.

The next song, It's Gotta Be Love, she said sat for twenty years unused. No scared as a Lamb(e) tonight except in word only.

Days Go By from her album is next and it is another of my favorites.

The next song is another not on her album called Just Another Small Town Heartache. It is very catchy. Hello! Hello!

Since You Went Away is the next one from her album. Many of the songs are slow ones. This is what she felt when she put the a;bum together. Artists have their own favorites. They at times have a theme or a pace they want to set on an album. Lisa clearly wanted something easy listening for her first. I think it reflects a warmth and gentleness to her fans.

Next up is something slightly more up. It is a Beyonce cover called XO. I have never heard Beyonce do this song. In fact, I pay scant attention to scantily clad and gyrating pop divas. I would not trade One Lisa Lambe for a hundred Beyonces. Lisa and her band does this song very well and I doubt I would like the diva's version.

Last song of  the set Locked Up In Heaven from her album. The lead guitarist is evident here as he has been throughout and he's quite good.

We chat among ourselves at the break and some go buy merchandise. I order a pint of stout and settled in for the second set. I am front row center and our group has the tables three deep. Lisa had given as many as possible looks from the stage and I was no exception. She was among friends. Family, non-fan friends, and others in the business were there too. Everyone wanted this to be a special night for her.

Lisa opens the second set with her Alone single, Heaven, and dedicates it to them and their supporters. I still have the video in my computer.

Another album song is Ain't Love Something and it is up next.

My absolute favorite song is next. It is the most upbeat one from her album. It reminds me of the old Jim Stafford songs and is called Knock Knock. What a hoot, and it would make a GREAT music video.

I Can't Get You Out Of My Mind is next. Love is a big theme on her album. It is a big theme in her life. The world needs more of it.

Another non-album song is called Hurricane. It is an old Mindy Smith song and is simply beautiful.

Come And Let The Good Times Rock is an upbeat song also not on her album. The Audience claps along as they did on a couple occasions tonight.

Another not on her album comes up next and she dedicates it to her hubby, Simon. It's called One Train Away and is about being on the road. Very nice.

Title song Hiding Away is up next. Really a lovely creation.

And then we get another treat. Lisa, with encouragement from the audience, brings up Simon to do a song. At first we think it is a duet. But she goes to stage right and sits down to watch as he sings an old Irish classic, Raglan Road. See, it would not hurt anyone's feelings if now and then the two of them did a few shows of Irish music too in addition to her country work.

Another one of my favorites wraps up the set with All We Are. We are standing and we sing along the chorus. Sounded wonderful and that warm sound filled the venue.

The encore is another Irish song called Wild Mountain Side.

All too soon it is over. We could do this for hours. We get the feeling she could too. But the venue closes at a certain time and we are all well satisfied. A long line forms for autographs and photos. Everyone gets plenty of love from the Lambe. Some of us hang back and are well rewarded. When it comes my turn Lisa lights up and reaches her arms out as reach out mine. She speaks first with the simple but powerful words, I love you. OK, melt. We spend quite a few minutes chatting and getting photos. I ask for no autographs. I have plenty. Michael takes the photos as Kenn Craig mans the merch table. Mike is next and then it turns into a mingle. Lisa then says we should have a group photo. I already has one with her and one with her and Simon. But this is a handful from her Navy and adds in Kenn, Simon, and Michael Elder. One photo she says we need to salute. Venue people are itchy but there is no denying Lisa from the ones who love her and from the ones she so appreciates. It is typical of her. There is no doubt at all with any of us she truly loves her fans.

She has said we can expect more tours and bigger venues. Folks, please support this fine artist and most amazing human being. She is a beacon of light in an ever darkening world. She is a joyful soul. She has the talent to make a huge impact in her chosen profession. But in the end it is for her and for us about the connection between her and a song and between us all. These gatherings are family. We come to love and support each other as much as to support an artist. They give us the reason to gather from far away. They are a glue that binds us in a common bond. Lisa Lambe is a rare gem. She's a ruby from an emerald isle. Cut, clarity, and facets are important in valuing a gem. I work with them. I can tell you this one is priceless. Buy her CD and attend performances when they come available.   

One last thing. Many of us have far less discretionary money than we had when she started with CW. Many of us have cut way back or halted altogether going to CW shows. We have to choose, and sometimes those choices aren't easy. This one was easy. It was opening night USA solo Lisa Lambe. No matter the cost we had to be there. I worked three weeks without a day off to get this week off. So on this night here in Decatur Georgia we await tomorrow and her guest gig in another pub. Won't be solo Lisa all night. Maybe it will only be two or three songs. But it is worth digging an entire mountain side to find that gem.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 01:19:55 AM by moscapoet »

Anderpaw

• Nothin' says lovin' like a good Lisa huggin'!
    • View Profile
Re: Another Lisa first, another winner
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2015, 01:40:10 PM »
It was an awesome show, Scott, and I am so glad I took the chance to drive down to Nashville. As I've said in a Facebook post, Lisa treated us all like old friends whom she was genuinely glad to see again. You are so right in saying that she hasn't changed since the time when she was in CW. I first met her in 2011, and her second greeting at the Sutler was "Four years is too long to wait seeing each other." What a night!

moscapoet

• Administrator
  • Happy to serve!
    • View Profile
Re: Another Lisa first, another winner
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2015, 08:41:13 AM »
Paul, it was great to finally meet you and having you there with us for this special night. I was impressed that so many made the journey to help launch her solo career here. She really is special in the way she literally embraces her fans. But I have to note that when an Irish lass gives you a genuine hug you know you've been hugged!  I have a few from a certain fiddler and others I'll never forget as well. Here's hoping we get many more chances to support LL over here. David's new show, Bloody Irish, will tour the states next year and she is in that.

Salute!