Total Topics: 83
Most Online Today: 13
Most Online Ever: 38
(August 29, 2023, 12:40:07 PM)
Users Online
Members: 0
Guests: 5
Total: 5

Author Topic: A Lambeless Emerald. A bit less shiny green.  (Read 2895 times)

moscapoet

• Administrator
  • Happy to serve!
    • View Profile
A Lambeless Emerald. A bit less shiny green.
« on: April 12, 2014, 12:33:30 PM »
  April would bring my first two shows of this current Celtic Woman tour. I had gone in the first of the year happy to have a string of shows, but later in the tour. Had I known then they would be Lambeless ones I might have snagged at least one early one. But too late and too little funds to change my mind. I had also committed to the Celtic Nights tour so really was not all that free until after the end of March. I was operating in a semi-official capacity for CN at the time. So, I went in to Albuquerque and El Paso a bit underwhelmed at the thought of Lambeless Celtic Woman. Yes, I had seen more shows from 2007-2010 with Lynn in them but the dynamic was different. Also, at the time Lisa Kelly and Chloe were still in the show so interactions from the stage were numerous from many quarters.

So, I arrived on Wednesday in Albuquerque after a four hour drive from home to meet up with one of L'il Lambe's favorite fans, if not her favorite, Mike "MrPeabody" Brown. I've been to so many shows with him and his generosity has saved me tons in costs for things like lodging and transportation. I brought him an expensive set of earrings to gift out in exchange for the upcoming Denver M & G. Barter has been the only way I've done some of this the past couple years. It was a warm and sunny day and we'd be meeting up with Tink and Coren for dinner and the show. All of us would be front row at Popejoy Hall. Albuquerque is where I saw my first CW show back in 2007 and also my 50th in 2010. This would be my 87th and Mike's 169th!

My main review is, as always, posted in the Mairead forum, but I'll touch on things Lambe related here. Lynn steps in and revisits her interpretation of Dulaman. I still remember the Australia shows where we cracked up Ray by waving seaweed. Those were the last Lynn Dulaman shows. Meav, Hayley, Lynn, and Lisa have all used that song as a vehicle, and each were very different and very good. I never saw the Meav one in a live show, only on video. She was very good with it. Hayley only did it briefly on her half tour in 2007 and I did not see it. I understand from others she had problems remembering the Gaelic but I'm not certain for sure on that. Lynn was the girl next door sought after by the seaweed beaus. Lisa was the party girl version, and party she did complete with spoons. No kitchen utensils from Lynn. She does fine with it as she always did, but given a choice I prefer Lambe with my seaweed.  ::)

The other solo was switched out when Lisa left. Gone is her amazing interpretation of Bridge Over Troubled Water, done in a Gospel and blues way. In its place is Lynn's old signature piece, My Lagan Love. I always loved this song done by her and she owns it in my opinion. Just pure vocals of her and choir. In Albuquerque I was taking notes throughout for my opening review, but in El Paso I was just enjoying the show and so did what I always used to do, give her a standing ovation. She did not see it and no one else joined me with it. So, swap for swap on signature pieces as I consider Bridge to be one of Lisa's.

In the rest of the show we have ensemble and duet pieces. Lynn does a duet with Mairead Carlin in Si Do Mhaimeo. It is a very fun arrangement with some complex choreography. I could easily see Lisa doing this VERY well and it is a song I longed to see and hear done live. It is my favorite in the show now. The party songs, TAR, and Nil Se'n La are still done very well. I had thought they would lose energy in the absence of Ms. Lambe. Well, in Albuquerque Lynn took a lap and donned a ball cap. Seems she has found a lap in every show where the venue layout permits them to be in the audience. In El Paso there was no access to the stage from the floor so no chance of seeing that again or perhaps being part of it. Unlikely she would select me anyway. In any case, I only salute my Comander, Secretary of the Navy, Lisa Lambe.

Lisa is the one who stepped in for Lynn and we have never looked back. Lynn stepping in for Lisa was not something I personally thought would work. Yet I have been surprised at the more open, engaging, and playful Lynn which is not who I recall from 2010 and previous years. It is not the same Lynn, at least not outwardly. Still the same sweet, clear voice, though. But I do sorely miss our L'il Lambe and I always will. Her departure hit me harder than even LK or Chloe. That is in part due to her stage presence but more largely due to her willingness to engage fans on stage, off stage, at meetings, when she sees you on the streets, and on Twitter. And no one hugs like The Lambe!

Emerald is a high energy, fun show. It has fewer slow or quiet moments, and the songs are in a bit of an odd order in some cases. All the songs are done well and there are some nice new additions like Si Do Mhaimeo, I Know My Love, Newgrange, and the fun little bit with the male dancers and the percussion lads. That had to be set up as an eye candy moment for the female audience members.  ;) It worked. Lots of higher pitched screams and cheers. I found it fun too but I save my drooling for a certain fiddler.  ::) Stage is simpler, lighting still quite good, sound very nice, costumes lovely, and all aspects of the artistry on stage remain superb, No knock at all on the performers or Lynn specifically here. I just one to break out into the song I've Grown Accustomed To Her Face. Lisa Lambe captured me from her very first show in the states where she nailed it and all the way until her departure.

I won't be dong Lambeless in Colorado reviews. It would only restate what I have here and I expect no changes in my thinking from the next five shows here. There is a reason we salute her here. It is more than singing. It is more than fun choreography. It is more than autographs and photo ops. It is about a beautiful soul who clearly loves life and people, one that is willing to reach out and give a massive hug in person or on line. It is my hope she will do up a solo CD, put up an official website, and open a Facebook artist page to like. With a CD and official site she would qualify for nomination to receive an IMA award. Alex has now crossed that barrier and Lisa doing so would be a fine way for all of us to offer additional support to her as a solo artist. Lisa will keep us all up to date on her return or on her moving on to other things. Either way we are here to support whatever she does with a hearty salute.  Emerald is a beautiful gem. I work with them as well as rubies and sapphires doing up jewelry. But this emerald for me will always lack a bit in luster and cut without Lisa. Fine show, fine cast, great songs, and one I'll still see in my region wherever that turns out to be. But as they continue to shed their core and as tickets stay as they are (you have to buy two to get front row AND a meeting now) I'm less compelled to fly all over creation to see them even with my favorite, a certain fiddler, still with them. Thank you, Lisa, for three marvelous years and many a dose of Lambe's wool. SALUTE!

Salute!