Total Topics: 83
Most Online Today: 9
Most Online Ever: 38
(August 29, 2023, 12:40:07 PM)
Users Online
Members: 0
Guests: 7
Total: 7

Author Topic: Hiding Away CD review  (Read 6347 times)

moscapoet

• Administrator
  • Happy to serve!
    • View Profile
Hiding Away CD review
« on: February 22, 2015, 05:28:13 PM »
    Trust me when I tell you that Hiding Away will NOT be hiding away in your stacks of music. You'll want this baby in the to play rotation!

This is Lisa Lambe's first solo CD and it is a winning first effort that reflects both her gentle and caring soul and her immense love for life and people. Yet in love not all times and things are positive. The mix of songs reflects both the triumph and tragedy of that intense emotion. It is very country in its feel yet has some bits of Irish and pop elements mixed in subtly. When I first heard her album was going to be in a country vein I have to admit I was a bit bummed. She does Irish so well and that genre lives in me and inspires me as none other has. Yet one has to remember that the roots of country and bluegrass comes straight from the Scots-Irish migration into the Appalachians. So, she has not really strayed far afield, just sort of americanized a bit. Yet country is popular all around the world and she is not the first Irish artist to try her hand at that and do it well.

Simon Morgan, her hubby and fine artist in his own right, joins her in backing vocals as well. best of all, two of the songs come from Lisa's own hand and heart. It is fourteen tracks of gentleness like only the Lambe can dispense it. So, here is the track list with some comments.

Track one is a cover and known to millions especially of the current and previous generation, All We Are. I like the song but I like it even better with Lisa singing it. The folksy feel with country flavor is better than the original. It has good instrumentation and backing vocals as well. It's a great opener and is like a warm, comfy sweater on a winter's day. I'm anxious for what's next.

Track two is the song Lisa released as a solo single for use as a fund raiser for Alone, her charity of choice in Ireland. It's called Heaven and in it there IS hope for the hopeless. With souls like Lisa and organizations like Alone all things are possible. In it here are gentle lessons including "failure keeps you humble" which perhaps few understand.

Track three is called Everytime I Fall In Love. It is another gentle song with a country feel. I know more than a few can relate to the lyrics. And therein lies something important about this album in general, it connects with the human condition in love.

Next up is track four and aa catchy song called The Longer I Run. It is delightful and one of my favorites on the CD. It is almost James Taylor-esque in tune and lyric. I'm very familiar with that having done my share of Taylor covers back in the day. The song is like a run through the Tennessee hills. Perhaps that would make a good video for it? "I ain't the girl I used to be" she says in the song. No, Lisa, in some ways you aren't. You're an ever expanding soul yet still grounded in that north Dublin family.

Track five is called Since You Went Away. When I listened to this song I could not help but think it was how many Celtic Woman fans feel now with Lisa no longer in the group. It is a soulful lament with a really lovely guitar solo in it.

Track six is called Ain't Love Something. Yes it is. In it she relays both the pleasure and pain of that emotion. Plenty of folks in her audience can relate to the roller coaster that is love. again, she connects.

This is followed by track seven which is a simply titled frolic called Love. It has a bit of a 60's flower child feel to it complete with harmonica. It is a happy skip and would make a great playful video. She just wants us to be loved. I think she really does.

Track eight is called It's Gotta Be Love. Once again she reflects on the conflicted emotions that are love. "Brave as a soldier, but scared as a lamb(e)" sums up how things can be in all of us at times in relationships. Certainly she continues an album theme and what would one expect from someone many of us have come to know as all about love.

Next up on track nine is the title track and one Lisa herself created, Hiding Away. One can see her singing this to Simon. The title begs the question has she herself been hiding away? Nope, her amazing volume of experience at a young age says she hasn't. Yet as a solo artist, not part of a cast or ensemble, perhaps she has been hiding away. That isn't overt but rather like a butterfly in the cocoon she was just waiting to burst free on her own. she has the support in family and friends as well as fans to boldly do that now. No more Hiding Away. For her Simon is the only one, there's no hiding that. Perhaps that is what inspired the song. "Waiting for tomorrow's golden sun" is a phrase used in the song. Tomorrow is today thanks to Lisa.

Track ten is probably my favorite. It opens with a creaking door and is an upbeat country song in the best tradition of that genre. It's called Knock Knock. Who's there? Lisa and she bemoans "bad news, bad news, I'm talking to you." The song reminds me a bit of songs by Jim Stafford I sang along to as a teen. This is a true country frolic complete with fiddle and could sure make me a country music fan. It's great fun and again would make a truly funny video especially with her great acting chops. Love it! Hmm, one wonders if she sees familiar fans and thinks, "he's back for more!"  ::)

Track eleven switches gears back to the gentle. Days Go By is another soulful lament. Perhaps a wife of a soldier deployed to a war zone? Perhaps an old west cowboy away on a cattle drive? I'm sure many a woman can relate and perhaps it would be a nice theme song for spouses of deployed military. Lovely song. Oh, and this is another Lisa creation. I'm very impressed!

Track twelve is called Turn To Me.  It is very country and more upbeat again. It even has a bit of a jimmy Buffett feel to it. Heck, she could do his songs too! That is something else this album speaks volumes to me about. There is simply nothing Lisa can't tackle and make her own.

Lucky track thirteen is I Can't Get You Out Of My Mind. I think that is not a new title but it isn't the song from decades ago. Listening to this makes me wonder if she felt the words here while on long tours away from her beau. as with all these songs it is rhythmic and has a message.

The final track, fourteen, is called Locked Up In Heaven. First thing I think of is, rats the album is almost over! Then i remember I can play it as many times as I want!  ;) This is a great slow dance song and one I can easily see a bride and groom doing at their reception.  It ends the album as it started, in love. and Lisa has said in subsequent interviews that the album was a labor of love. Funny but it is my guess much of what Lisa does is out of love.

This is a beautiful opening album by a premier artist. I know Lisa only as one of her avid fans. But I know people, and I know when someone is a person of the light and when one is a person of darkness. Lisa comes from the light. She operates out of love and positives. That has been clear from day one. Do we all have our dark days and moments? Sure. But light overcomes darkness and her beacon is brilliant. It comes through in this album that there is nothing love and light cannot overcome and that love is worth the risk.

The album came autographed and who knows how many she did that way. But it is the smaller touches that Lisa has excelled at since many of us "discovered" her back in 2011. I whole-heartedly recommend this album and if you get the chance to see her live in solo gigs or anything else then avail yourself of that treat. She should be proud of this first effort and her family should be immensely proud of their, and our, L'il Lambe. Salute!   

Romds9

• View Profile
Re: Hiding Away CD review
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2015, 06:52:45 PM »
Thanks for the review Scott. Hopefully we will all have an opportunity to review many more  :)

moscapoet

• Administrator
  • Happy to serve!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2015, 02:06:08 PM »
I hope so too! Plus some concerts as well!  ;)

CWazyTom

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2017, 01:23:58 AM »
I've said it in other forums, but I'll say it again: I really enjoy reading your reviews, Scott.  They're eloquent, insightful and provide me an even greater appreciation for the music and the wonderful people behind it.

Salute!